Monday, October 31, 2011

New 52 Round 2, Week 3-4

I'm not sure how this happened again and I got way behind again, but I'm trying to catch up. Last time I looked at these two weeks, I dropped Birds of Prey, Captain Atom, Legion of Superheroes, Supergirl, and Blackhawks. I actually gave Supergirl a second look based on the idea that her vs. Superman might be interesting... it wasn't. I also said that The Dark Knight was dropped and I gave it a second look... While it wasn't good in the least, I feel its the train wreck book that I'm going to follow. This week, I drop several books so let's see who makes the cut...

Batman 2

For me, this continues to be a standout book and it comes as no surprise since Snyder is at the helm. I'm not sure how this connects to Nightwing's storyline, but it seems to feature him pretty prominently. The interaction between Bruce and Dick is really great. Like old friends more than estranged family. When Dick is accused of murder, he takes Dick’s explanation at face value, which makes it seem like a trust moment where he’s cool because they’re family… only we find out that Bruce is a bit of a cock (calling him a dick in presence of Dick doesn’t sound right) and didn’t trust him all that much after all. Dick, used to all of this, plays it off like it’s the usual Bruce thing, but even Bruce seems a little disappointed in himself:
Anxious to see where this whole Court of Owls bit is going, but I'm hooked.

Verdict: A. Solid book that I can easily say is in my top 5 books of the reboot.

Blue Beetle 2

Really, there isn't much to say about this book in a good or bad sense. It gets the "guy with brand new powers" gig down really well, but it also should come with some Spanish to English translations. I get the concept of having a level of diversity in the new DCU, but I know maybe 10 Spanish words, and although I see 5 of them used and I can use context clues... I'm still lost for bits of this.

Verdict: C+. Just being average is fine sometimes, but this series needs to pick itself up if it wants to keep me reading. Series is still on probation.

Catwoman 2

For me, this is really a mixed book as well. I really hated the post-coital conversation between Batman and her, but when the two run into each other as Bruce and Selina at a party later, I loved their rapport. The series is really strong, playing Selina as a mastermind who has gang members kill each other so she doesn't get her hands dirty, and there is swashbuckling abound. The problem comes at the end, when Selina's friend and confidant- a strong, non Bat-family supporting character, gets executed so that we can meet the villain of this arc- an Outsider knockoff known as Bone.

Verdict: B-. I almost dropped this thing after that ending, but I honestly think that I need to ride this story out a little longer, so it will maintain probationary status.

DCU Presents 2



Probably the biggest jump in styles from the last issue to now, this book is infinitely better this issue. Its no longer about the mere possession of people and helping them, and more about demon nightclubs and fighting monsters. We left Boston in the body of an amputee war vet who is playing a game of chicken with a servant of Rama Kushna. She helps Boston get some understanding of his role, but its not enough, so after getting the guy hooked up with a pretty girl in a bar, Boston ditches the body and heads to the Moonstone Club, which is guarded by some serious anti-magic security. After bodyhopping, we find out that the Librarian is the one that he's looking for, but getting to her will be hard since most of the creatures in the club can sense his presence. Cue this scene:
If I ever fight a blind person, I will use that line. You have my word. Going deeper into the building he ends up in the actual nightclub area filled with all sorts of monsters and since they can all see him, he does what comes naturally:
As they say, dying is easy- comedy is hard. Boston possesses a big zombie type monster and goes to see the Librarian- an old woman who is actually a lesser fallen angel charged with keeping tabs on every living and some dead creatures. Boston finally forces her to find his book, and as much as he wants to read it, he cant for a few reasons: its in braille AND Aramaic, and the book is one in a thousand volumes, all linked to other people's stories. And you probably shouldn't ask this woman how anything ends... she kinda sucks about revealing spoilers:
Verdict: B+. This is a really solid book that I am eager to keep reading. Despite having a major downer cliffhanger, its all good because I got to see a ghost do standup.

Green Lantern Corps 2


Last issue, we saw an entire planet and two GL's get decimated by some mysterious and invisible assassins. This one picks up with our team finding the bodies. There are seven Corps members: Guy, John, Isamot Kol, Hannu, Sherrif, Vandor,and a female Lantern. I tried to their name, but I couldn't find much. Isamot is very caring about the Lanterns who were killed as the three of them went through training together, and demands that they take the bodies to Oa for proper burial. We jump to another planet where the trees are being sucked up by the same force. Luckily, the Corps is in the area and our team goes to help the planet. Isamot loses it when he catches sight of the attacking force, and blows up their power core, and while he saves the planet, he then disapears into this black void where he gets attacked. Back on the planet, the team interrogates the enemy and they claim that now that they have everything they need, the real plan can begin. A portal opens up above and Isamots body, without arms or legs falls to the ground. Luckily, he's still alive because he put his rin on his long reptile tongue and we are assured he will grow his limbs back... if they can survive the onslaught of hundreds of soldiers pouring out of the same portal.

Verdict: B-. While I love this series, this was not one of the better issues. I still can't really wrap my mind around the bad guys here, so I will hope it gets better with time and give this issue a pass.

Justice League 2


It doesn't feel like its been almost two months since this first issue came out, but here we are. This thing is really a far stronger issue than the first one, giving us a hero vs. hero fight between a Superman too raw in the game to show restraint and a Green Lantern too stubborn to know when to fall back. I kind of want to see Green Lantern try to take another shot at Superman somewhere down the line. I love the idea that he’s pissy over not being king shit in the DCU. The makeshift team feels pretty organic so far, so it’s going to be interesting to see how Wonder Woman and Aquaman round things out. The very discussion between Vic Stone and his father about how worthless human sports are in the coming days of supermen has me very curious on how Johns is going to define this version of Cyborg, now that Vic Stone has been virtually destroyed by the coming Parademons. I have a feeling he’s going to be very similar to Captain America, tethered to his humanity despite his heightened status. We also get a look at the Flash here, and I have to say that this Flash is above and beyond better written here than his title role book. And I like that Barry and Hal already have a connection as heroes and friends, so that Hal can just hit Barry up on the cell, and he'll come running. I'm not a huge fan of how Batman tries to referee this fight, but it makes sense that he would be more sensible than the three warring heroes. Fun interaction:
Verdict: A. Another solid week for this series helmed by two of the most powerful people in the DC company. This is the New 52's spearhead for a reason and this book is just fantastic. Also in my top five books of the relaunch.

Nightwing 2


So the title of this issue is "Saiko Killer" and naming your book and antagonist after the catchiest of Talking Heads songs is a good way to get into my graces. While not very developed yet, I do like Saiko’s design and he has the makings of a strong rogue. The comic is pretty much split into two things. Nightwing vs. Saiko acts as the bread of the sandwich and it’s pretty damn cool. The middle half of it is exposition development that appears to be for shaping the series’ status quo. That is, if Dick Grayson owning the Haley circus, adn the circus itself, lasts longer than six issues. It could be a good way to differ this series from Bruce’s books and give it its own identity outside of the smug street fighting and acrobatics. It still hasn’t hit its stride as much as I’d like, but I’m confident in what’s been given to us so far.

Red Hood and the Outlaws 2


Two issues in and I still don't know how to feel about this issue. On one hand, its getting a lot of undeserved bad press for the way the series has treated Starfire, but I feel that its a new take on a character and I'm trying to keep my mind open about the series as best I can. On the other hand, this thing is really doing Jason Todd justice, but it makes the tagalong couple of Roy and Starfire look really unnecessary. And unnecessary in this comic translates as annoying. I like the Ra's al Ghul backstory and the fact that Jason, while he has no problem killing, has a certain honor and code about what he's doing and what was done to him.

Verdict: C. I can't drop this thing, but I rarely look forward to reading it, so I gues that keeps it on probation for a bit longer.

Wonder Woman 2
There really isn't much to say on this book. Its very fast paced and we don't spend hardly anytime with our title character, but that's true of all the characters. Everything seems to be going too fast and no one gets much of an inspection. We have always gotten the origin that Diana was formed in the sand and clay by her mother, and then given life, but the way this comic is going, it looks like Zeus is going to turn out to be her father. Certainly an intersting possibility.

Verdict: C+. Its not great or all that enticing, but I feel like there's a good story here. I will keep reading with the hopes it gets better.

All Star Western 2

While this entry is certainly a lot more action packed than the first issue, it kinda feels flat overall. We spend a lot more time with action shots than getting some of the Hex/Arkham buddy cop moments. The biggest problem for me is the art here makes almost everyone look the same. No one looks normal in the whole issue. I'm all for gritty, but I think there's a limit to everything.

Verdict: C+. Its not a bad comic, but I don't think its even remotely as good as the first issue. I'm sticking for a while.

Aquaman 2

Again, we have an issue that just doesn't match up to its predecessor. We have some pirahna creatures that are new to everyone in the story and go on a murder spree, but at no point do you ever feel a level of danger or concern for any of the characters. We get a little time with Arthur and Mera as they talk about his childhood and how his father never wanted him to be around water. The fun character moments are killed quickly so that Arthur can fight the evil and hungry sea creatures.

Verdict: C. Another issue that's weaker and gets a lower grade. This just isn't a good week, to be honest, and we are just gettign started.

Batman: The Dark Knight 2





Oh Lord... where can I begin with this book? A bunch of villains have gotten hopped up on some Venom mixed with something that reduces fear (wink, wink towards the probable villain here). Despite the cover seeming very serious about this Two Face fight, its over in the first few pages, because Dent's eyes just begin to bleed like crazy. Batman is far more focused on tracking down who this White Rabbit is and puts Alfred on the case:
Apparently, all over town there are reports of hopped up villains destroying Gotham. Batgirl tries to stop Zsasz, the Birds of Prey are attacked by Clock King, Batwoman faces off with the Cavalier, and Robin and Nightwing team up to take on...
Yes, the Ventriloquist (who is apparently back from the dead in the reboot). This all seems kind of fun overall, but the dialogue is so choppy that its a pain to read. Naturally, our Rabbit shows up again and Batman chases her onto a subway car where he has to deal with some Joker thugs, and discovers someone killed some of the thugs before he got there. Bruce continues to chase the rabbit until he reaches the last car and we are treated to something that almost made me burn the issue on the spot.
Oh cool, I also played Arkham Asylum. This is just awful. One of the most famous lines from one of the best superheroes of all time and this is how it gets used. Its an absolute abomination.


Verdict: D-. Much like a train wreck or car accident, you can't really look away from this book, and as enraged as I am by how bad this thing is, its at least eliciting an emotion and this was a tough week to accomplish that goal. Against my own better judgement, I'm going to keep going.


The Flash 2

This kinda leads right into this issue of Flash for a reason. This thing is beyond boring. Like... I was so bored by it as I reread it for the review, I actually left halfway to get a soda so I wouldn't fall asleep. We get one great page where Barry can see and feel everything in the city at once, using his brain at Flash speeds, but its instantly killed so we can get some backstory on a friend of Barry's that was in the military... cloning... power outage. Damn, almost went to sleep again. This thing is beyond slow and betrays the title in a pretty atrocious way.


Verdict: D-. I really tried to give this comic a chance but I'm not going to waste time on a comic that is this uninteresting. I was going to put this one on probation because I don't want to abandon the character, but I think Justice League has this guy covered. DROPPED.



The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Men 2


To be honest, I don't even remember much of this issue. There's a big fight between Fury and the assassins, and finally the two guys seperate themselves back out and talk with Tonya about how they can't ever go back home. Sure enough, cops and government agents are each going to their respective houses looking for them and tellign their parents that they all were involved in some deep cover terrorist plot that involved killing teachers, students, and blowing up the school. Meanwhile, the teens are stirred awake by some mercenaries known as the Hyena team, and they might be the single most annoying team I have ever had the displeasure of reading. They are apparently tweakers of Joker venom and constantly giggle at the end of every sentence. The two Firestorms are so uncoordinated since they just got their powers that they just trip over themselves and get guns to their heads. End of issue.


Verdict: C. I've said this a few times- its fine as an issue, but it just ends up as a flash-in-the-pan. I like the Firestorm system we had coming from Brightest Day, but this reboot version just doesn't compare. It's still on probtion because I don't want to give up on Gail Simone, but my patience is running out.

Green Lantern: New Guardians 2



Times Square gets a free-for-all from members from 5 of the seven Corps. Kyle Rayner has rings of the other six lights wanting to be on his fingers, something he doesn't want, but Munk of the Indigos, Fatility of the Star Sapphires, Bleez of the Red Lanterns, and Arkillo of the Sinestro Corps think he's stolen the rings. Arkillo and Kyle fight in the subway while Fatality fights and imprisons Bleez above ground. Munk just watches and tries to take out Fatality when the moment arises. Just as Kyle is about to fight Fatality, his ring begins to power up far beyond normal which can only mean that a Blue Lantern is nearby. Saint Walker arrives to get Kyle out of there and take him to Ganthet on Oa. Walker brings up a very intersting point on the way- that there is only one Orange ring, and if it is with Kyle now, where is Larfleeze? Walker doesn't travel to Oa, as he is banned from the planet, but wishes Kyle well, as he heads to the Guardian's council hall. To his dismay, gantet has been lobotomized and his emotions have been removed. The Guardians see the rings and lose it trying to capture them and imprison Kyle. The rings sense danger and go onto Kyle's fingers, transforming him into the Gray Lantern.

Verdict: B-. I was a big fan of the Blackest Night and Brightest Day books becuase it gave us a steady look at the various Corps and their members,a dn I feel like this book is trying to keep that feeling intact. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of this group as I was the last set of Guardians, but I think this book has potential.

I, Vampire 2

This was somehow more boring than the Flash... the previous issue had so much potential. It was a story about two vampire characters that have different viewpoints on humans and how they used to be friends and lovers with each other. The issue ends with Mary, the antagonist telling that she had sent vampires out to kill all the humans they could. This issue is a story about the same two characters that have the same different viewpoints on humans and how they used to be friends and incredible lovers together. This issue ends with Mary, the antagonist telling the audience herself, that she had sent vampires out to kill all the humans they could. You see my problem? Its the same freakin' book, just from her perspective. Which is actually the same perspective she had when she spoke in the last isssue... this thing was just bad.


Verdict: D-. Shame on you Fialkov for making me reread the same issue twice with only some action scenes thrown in. I thought about putting this on probation, but I would rather not- DROPPED.


Justice League Dark


This issue should have been titled: Deadman Needs to get Laid. Why, you ask? I'll explain in a moment. We open on Zatanna getting attacked by shadow creatures, and barely survives by encasing herself in a protection bubble. Meanwhile Constantine gets the crap beat out of him so he can use the pain to get stronger and use magic. The focus of the issue however is on Deadman and Dove. Boston keeps taking people's bodies over so he can physically be with Dove. She gets mad at him and tells him she won't sleep with a man that's not him. The possessed guy's wife comes in and assaults her husband for macking on Dove and Deadman tries to fix the situation while Dove goes home. He leaves the body and follows her home, just in time for a blonde woman- June Moone- to arrive. She's an avatar of the Enchantress, and she's come to Deadman for help. By possessing her, she wants Enchantress out of her mind. Deadman goes to work, while Dove goes outside and cries. Still possessing the girl's body, Boston goes to comfort Dawn and attempts to hit on her. Dove slaps him/her and leaves. Now free of Deadman, June warns Deadman that he's in danger because he helped her. That's pretty much it.

Verdict: B-. I know there's a lot of story to try and get through here, but man... this thing just seems kinda dead in the water. Like Deadman's sex life. OOOOOhhhhh!!!!!! But seriously, I'm kinda getting bored and I need more Constantine soon. Probationary status.

The Savage Hawkman 2



Art is important to a comic, but it shouldn't be all that a comic is. This comic has a story where a bird/Egyptian/alien based hero fights the demon from A Night on Terror Mountain, and for some reason, its seriously the worst written thing. The art is beautiful and there are some shots here that I honestly would put above my bed as a poster, but the writing is so awful and carboard that I'm bored to death. Teh bad guy escapes and joins with other evil aliens, and as much as I'd like learn more about them and what the plan is, I can't read anymore of this. I may pick up the next issue and look at the pictures, but the writings just not worth it.


Verdict: D. It doesn't fail because of how beautiful this thing is, but seriously, this writing is garbage. No question that its DROPPED.


Superman 2

This issue feels more like an episode of the aniamted series, rather than a comic. Maybe its because of teh one-shot villain status, but it feels good for the same reason it feels bad. Superman can't see a creature that is attacking him so he is getting beat down, but Lois manages to resuce him by keeping her video cameras pointed towards the creature so that Superman can use those images to fight the creature. Naturally, the cover lied and he was actually beatable. Its an action focused issue and doesn't offer much more than that, besides Lois further cementing Clark into the friend zone he desperately wants to escape.


Verdict: B. Its not good, but its nowhere near bad and that's good enough for me really. This week has kinda sucked overall, and its weird to say that this was actually one of the stronger issues this week.


Teen Titans 2





So, its not the "Tim Drake is a badass" story like we got last month, but its a pretty solid issue. We open on Kid Flash talking to a person named Donny through a cell wall, while Bart thinks over what he should call himself now that Kid Flash has so much stigma. From there, we go to Cassie and Tim who try and have dinner, but Cassie is constantly going off on Tim for no viable reason. He seems to dig it since he openly checks her out, and after she gives him her couch to sleep on, we get this.

Much of the focus is on tracking down a bug creature in LA that is attacking people in the sewer. Tim figures out what she is and tracks down the thing's human sister. Turns out, NOWHERE is also looking for the creature and has sent someone to catch it. The merc here is kinda cool because he constantly refers to himself as we, which made me think we might see a teen Two-Face type thing, but the actual thing was kinda cool too.
Tim fights these guys off and apparently the third brother gets attacked by the bug creature, Skitter. After taking out the teleporting mercs, the bug turns on Tim, but Cassie flies in and saves him, then leaves, leaving Tim to carry Skitter out to safety. Meanwhile, Bart has gotten a chance to escape, and although this Donny he was talking to has disapeared, he find's a door marked Solstice with this inside:


Not really sure what or who that is... but its kinda creepifying.



Verdict: B+. Solid issue and I look forward to reading more, but I kinda feel that I will lose interest once Superboy enters the picture. Good ride til' then I suppose.



Voodoo 2

Softcore Porn: the Comic (like the cover didn't say enough already) just put me off really. We open on Voodoo, still in the body of the FBI agent she killed, having sex with the guy's female partner. Eventually, she finds out that her partner died in the strip club and tries to take down Voodoo, but is unable to, and instead of killing the agent, Voodoo just leaves her be and leaves for a diner where she starts freaking out because a Green Lantern (Kyle) is nearby. And to answer the horndog question- yes, the straight/lesbian/alien sex takes up more than half of the issue. Its just beyond bad.


Verdict: D. I gave this thing a pass last time. I can't in all good conscience do that this go round. Its a hot mess, and as much as I love a half naked attractive woman, I don't see the point in what's happening with this comic. DROPPED.


Well, that does it for the month of October. Round 3 is coming up and if you're wondering about the score, check in with the Keeping Score post.

No comments:

Post a Comment